Raptor Scientifics’ instruments are used in a variety of industries beyond Aerospace, Defense, and Space. Our range of instruments covers payloads of all sizes. We have measured the center of gravity of computer hard drive heads weighing only a few grams. At the other end of the range, we also have instruments to measure mass properties (center of gravity and moment of inertia) of complete boats and tanks weighing 60 metric tons and more. Here are just a few examples of the many industries that have come to rely on us for the accurate measurement of their products’ mass properties.
Medical and Biomechanics
Knowing the mass properties of medical devices and human bodies or parts of them is essential to understanding their motion and their reaction when submitted to external forces. Our instruments have been used to test medical equipment from patient tables such as the Hologic Horizon DXA Bone Densitometry System, to ingestible diagnostic instruments as well as mannequins—bodies and limbs—and all of the equipment that they carry or that carries them: helmets, respiratory masks, ejection seats, aircraft fixed seats, etc.
- Our smaller combined mass properties instruments (KSR330) are used to determine the center of gravity and moment of inertia of small parts or entire bodies. The most common use is testing helmets and mannequins.
- We also make instruments that measure moment of inertia (XR series), center of gravity (SE8913 series), and weight and CG combined (SE90168 series).
- Our larger instruments (KSR1320) are used to test heavier items, such as ejection seats with or without a mannequin installed.
Computer Hard Drives
Raptor Scientific offers comprehensive mass properties solutions to hard drive actuator arms manufacturers such as the HP Firebird PC Hard Drive Actuator.
- Our SE199 center of gravity measurement instrument is ideal for measuring the center of gravity of hard drive actuator arms in two axes in a single setup. Our dual interface pins allow measurement of the same actuator arm with or without its bearing.
- Our XKR02A moment of inertia instrument is the only instrument sensitive enough to measure the moment of inertia of a hard drive actuator arm.
- We design and manufacture accurate fixtures to use on both our SE199 center of gravity and XKR02A moment of inertia instruments.
Raptor Scientific offers the widest range of United States Golf Association approved mass properties solutions to the golf industry.
- Our SE8913 center of gravity measurement instrument is ideal for measuring the center of gravity of golf club heads in two axes in a single setup.
- Our XR10 moment of inertia instrument is the only instrument with integrated software that directly gives the moment of inertia through the center of gravity. This is done by automating the method proposed by the USGA, which involves several measurements and a regression analysis.
- We also offer measurement services. Simply ship us your club head and we will measure its center of gravity and its moment of inertia through center of gravity for a fraction of the cost of a mass properties instrument.
- We design and manufacture accurate fixtures to use on any mass properties measurement instruments, such as the custom fixture designed for the Snake Eyes 600T Driver Head.
- We offer consulting in mass properties to help you design the best clubheads.